"EVENING JOURNAL IN 1908"

 • At the end of the 19th Century, all the railway lines which reached New York City from the west had to pass through a difficult barrier on the west side of the Hudson River, the track rock ridge Palisades. 

• The Erie Railroad carried an extremely heavy suburban traffic that had been rapidly growing at the turn of the century. 

• The 1856 two track Bergen Tunnel was slow limiting traffic to a maximum of 20-25 trains per hour. 

• The Bergen Archways and Erie Cut consist of four short tunnels, the longest 580 ft, the shortest 190 ft and two concrete arches under Palisade and Baldwin Avenues. The mile long Cut spans from Palisades Avenue on the East to John F. Kennedy Blvd on the West. 

• The Cut is 60’ wide at the base, 100 ft at the top, 5,100 ft long and 85 ft deep. The elevation at the Eastern end is 40 ft high. A massive steel trestle brought trains down to grade level at Grove Street.

• 420,000 cubic yard of rock and 114,000 cubic yards of earth was excavated from the Cut and 79,000 yards of rock was excavated from the tunnels. 

• The Bergen Arches and Erie Cut were built over 3 years and 8 months from 1906-1910 and cost over $5,000,000. It carried over 30,000 daily commuters

• Six principal rail lines utilized the Bergen Archway and Erie Cut: 

    - Erie Main Line
    - New Jersey and New York Railroad
    - Northern Railroad of New Jersey
    - New York and Greenwood Lake
    - Newark Branch
    - New York, Susquehanna and Western