In 2005, the New York Times described the Bergen Arches as, “a spectacular underground canyon burrowed between the New Jersey Palisades a century ago that exists like a secret wilderness world under the graffiti-laced streets. The Bergen Arches is the common name for what used to be the Erie Railroad’s mile-long, four-track cut through the Palisades in Jersey City, now owned by NJ Transit. It linked the railroad's main line to the Hudson River waterfront and, eventually, Manhattan for its 30,000 daily passengers. The passage was finished in 1910 and the last train ran in 1957. Since then, the Bergen Arches has been overlooked and nearly forgotten.